воскресенье, 23 сентября 2012 г.

Golf: MONTY: I'M SICK OF RYDER PICKS.(Sport) - The Mirror (London, England)

Byline: TONY STENSON

COLIN MONTGOMERIE has urged Ryder Cup bosses: Don't make the captaincy race a job for the boys.

The Scot feels there is too much 'old school' in the selection for next Europe skipper and believes in one criterion: 'If you are good enough you get it.'

He wants an end to the cartel days of assistant managers being automatically appointed, as in the case of Mark James and then Sam Torrance. 'Americans pick the right man for the job. There's no 'he was No.2, so he should get it next time'. We should not have a bidding war. If egos get hurt then so be it.'

Welshman Ian Woosnam is favourite because he was Torrance's right-hand man last September.

Monty insisted: 'Best man gets the job. I am not comfortable with losers. If Ian, Sandy Lyle, Bernhard Langer miss out, what happens then? Do they bid again? I am a white smoke kind of guy. Announce and move on.'

Monty spoke on the eve of his debut in the pounds 1.5million Wales Open at Newport's Celtic Manor.

'This is the 2010 venue for the Ryder Cup. It's in a marvellous part of Wales. Frankly, I have missed out on this course,' he said. The Scot's new caddie, Steve Rawlinson, will be with him this week.

'He's a real character and I think you'll see me smiling a little bit more than I have done on the golf course because he is funny,'' said Monty. 'I am looking forward to a week with Stevie.

'What keeps me on my toes? A little joke. Come out and see me.'

Defending champion Paul Lawrie has dropped out with a bad neck.

TV TIMES: Sky Sports 1 from 10.30am

CAPTION(S):

MONTY: Best man

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий