вторник, 2 октября 2012 г.

Second sport helps Metz pick college - Post-Tribune (IN)

THIS ELECTRONIC VERSION MAY DIFFER SLIGHTLY FROM PRINTED VERSION

Metz(PHOTO)

Jeff Metz got a taste of football and just couldn't give it up.Metz, a standout goalkeeper for the Portage boys soccer team, punted for the first time last fall as a member of the Indians' football team. He enjoyed it so much he'll put on the pads next season and also continue his soccer career at the University of St. Francis in Fort Wayne.

'After the season, Coach (Craig Buzea) thought, if I worked on my technique, I could (kick) at the college level,' Metz said. 'When I was talking to St. Francis, they saw it on my resume and asked if I'd be interested.'

In choosing St. Francis, an NAIA school, Metz turned down Division I soccer programs at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne and Eastern Illinois. But at those two schools, he would have been limited to just soccer.

It ultimately came down to St. Francis and IPFW. And the chance to play two sports was too much for Metz to turn down.

'It took a long time (to decide),' Metz said. 'It was probably the hardest decision I ever had to make, deciding what to do the next four years of my life.

'I had to tell St. Francis and IPFW I needed more time.'

Metz averaged about 34 yards per punt last season and said he may also take on some kicking duties at St. Francis.

In the goal for the soccer team, he was regarded the past two seasons as one of the area's best and helped the Indians advance to the Final Four last fall. In 23 matches, Metz allowed 23 goals, had eight shutouts and made 214 saves.

The St. Francis soccer team finished 15-5-1 last fall, while the football team went 10-2.

Tom Wyatt can be reached at 648-3140 or by e-mail at twyatt@post-trib.com.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий